Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The film that I viewed to meet the criteria for movie before 1960s was “The Bribe of Frankenstein” created in 1935. Well to start off with all the TVs in my house must have been broken cause no matter which one I tried the movie kept showing up in black and white. It was really weird cause after I was done watching and flipped to TV channels it worked again. Weird. And I don’t want to ruin the ending for anyone so if you don’t already know don’t read the last paragraph of this.

It was a very creative script and the main plot of the movie was very intriguing. The writer for this movie was the late William Hurlbut. There was a lot of this movie that I did not previously know, for instance the actual story of Frankenstein was created by a writer in the movie and she is merely explaining what happens next after her book left off with the windmill burning and everyone thinking the monster was dead. Now in the credits it says this movie was based on a novel by Mary Shelley but I couldn’t find out if that was just for the first Frankenstein of both so I don’t know who to credit with this creative way of telling the story.

The chief cinematographer of the film was the late John J. Mescall. He was cinematographer for ninety films and was most noted for his work on the Invisible Man in 1966. There was a lot of low lighting throughout the movie making it have more of a scary feel to it, but as for the camera work there were just a lot of common things such as tracking, close ups, etc. They were all just common things used right.

I was unable to find anything on the set designer or anything like that. But I was able to find out who was in charge of the music. His name was C. Bakaleinkoff who used an original score and was nominated for 4 Oscars for this movie. There were composers involved in the making of the sound track obviously to create the music and they were striving to create a sound that would add to the scariness of the situations.

The acting was nothing really special other then it was extremely dramatic. All of the actors and actresses spoke very loudly and freaked out over everything. The creepy old lady who was the servant scared me way more then the actual movie. The main actors were: Boris Karloff who played the monster, Colin Clive Dr. Frankenstein and Ernest Thesiger Dr. Pretorius. For the actresses there was only one main one, Valerie Hobson who played Elizabeth Frankenstein.

One thing that really bothered me for the end of the movie was the fact that there was one random lever in the lad that seemed to serve no good purpose. The lever was very large and stuck out, it was a lever that when pulled blew up the castle. I don’t know if that was just a design flaw from the contractors of the castle or what but I don’t think I would want one of those in my house, especially one that was huge. I mean what the hell?

No comments: